Re: BUG #2033: Assertion Failure: File: "procarray.c", - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Joel Stevenson
Subject Re: BUG #2033: Assertion Failure: File: "procarray.c",
Date
List pgsql-bugs
At 11:42 AM -0500 11/9/05, Tom Lane wrote:
>Joel Stevenson <joelstevenson@mac.com> writes:
>>  gdb's 'bt' on one of the core files produces:
>
>>  #0  0x00138eff in ?? ()
>>  #1  0x0017ec8d in ?? ()
>>  #2  0x00246cd8 in ?? ()
>>  #3  0x00000000 in ?? ()
>
>This looks like you have a "stripped" executable, which is a bit odd
>considering you said that you built with --enable-debug.  Please
>check that the installed executable is what you think it is ...

Hmmm, I've moved all previous (beta, RC) PG base directories and
re-installed 8.1.0 again with --enable-debug and --enable-cassert.
During the make process I saw the cc lines floating past with the -g
option.

The commands were:

$ ./configure --with-perl --with-openssl --enable-thread-safety
--enable-debug --enable-cassert --with-includes=/usr/kerberos/include
$ make -j4
$ sudo make install
$ cp /usr/local/pgsql.old/data /usr/local/pgsql
$ sudo su postgres
$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data start
$ pkill -ABRT postmaster

This produced a bunch of core files that show the following backtrace:

#0  0x001ea038 in ?? ()
#1  0xbfffa4d8 in ?? ()
#2  0xbfffa5e0 in ?? ()
#3  0xbfffa560 in ?? ()
#4  0x08180844 in ?? ()
#5  0x00000005 in ?? ()
#6  0xbfffa4e0 in ?? ()
#7  0x00000000 in ?? ()

I'm at a loss as to what to do about it, really; is there a hidden
configure flag or something that could be in my environment that's
causing the executable to be stripped?  I see various strip related
things within the Makefile, but I definitely didn't make the
install-strip target.

>Is there any chance of putting together a self-contained test case
>that other people could try?

The simple test case so far is not causing the assertion failure,
perhaps because it is just a simple approximation of the case.  At
this point I'm more concerned about getting a non-stripped PG
installed so that should this error or another occur the core file
will have perhaps helpful information.

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Joel